A United States judge on Jan. 12 rejected to dismiss a civil case alleging that he sexually abused Virginia Giuffre when she was 17 years old.
In a 46-page decision, U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan for the Southern District of New York dismissed the argument raised by Andrew’s lawyers that Giuffre waived her right to sue him under a 2009 deal she made with late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Earlier this month, Andrew’s lawyers released details of a legal settlement in which Giuffre $500,000 in her lawsuit against Epstein to end her legal claims against him and those who could be described as a “potential defendant.” They argued that the settlement contained provisions that prohibit Giuffre from suing the prince.
But Kaplan said that the court at this time was not able to consider if the settlement covered Andrew, describing it as “ambiguous.”
“For the foregoing reasons, defendant’s motion to dismiss the complaint or for a more definite statement is denied in all respects,” Kaplan concluded in his ruling.
Kaplan also said that his ruling did not determine the “truth or falsity” of Giuffre’s complaint.
The case could be heard in court later this year.
David Boies, one of Giuffre’s lawyers, praised the ruling.
“Ms. Giuffre is, of course, pleased that Prince Andrew’s motion to avoid a trial has been denied, and that the evidence will now be taken concerning her claims,” Boies said in a statement.
“She looks forward to a judicial determination of the merits of those claims,” Boies added.
Buckingham Palace said in a statement that it would not comment on an ongoing legal matter.
© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.