The United States House Select Committee investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol riot announced on Nov. 29 that it will vote to recommend former Trump Justice Department Official Jeffrey Clark for criminal contempt.
The Committee plans to meet on Dec. 1 night to vote on a report detailing the case for criminal contempt against Clark and to refer him for prosecution after he defied a subpoena seeking his cooperation with the probe.
The Committee will then send the vote before the full House of Representatives.
If the Committee moves to hold Clark in contempt, he would become the second person referred to the Justice Department on contempt charges for refusing to provide critical information to the committee under subpoena.
The Committee issued a subpoena for Clark last month following a Senate report that said that Clark sent a letter to state legislators to delay the certification of the presidential election results, falsely claiming that federal officials found evidence of voter fraud.
On Nov. 5, Clark appeared for a deposition with the committee, but he refused to answer questions.
Instead, Clark presented to the Committee a 12-page letter from his attorney Harry MacDougald, claiming that executive privilege shielded him from sharing any information.
The Committee rejected Clark’s claim of executive privilege.
“It’s astounding that someone who so recently held a position of public trust to uphold the Constitution would now hide behind vague claims of privilege by a former President, refuse to answer questions about an attack on our democracy, and continue an assault on the rule of law,” Committee Chairman Bennie Thompson said in a statement at the time.
“We need the information that he is withholding and we are willing to take strong measures to hold him accountable to meet his obligation,” Thompson further stated.
© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.