Two Arrested After Fight Breaks Out at Miami International Airport

Police arrested two men after a fight broke out at Miami International Airport on Dec. 20 evening.

Miami-Dade police officers arrested Mayfrer Serranopaca of Kissimmee and Alberto Yanez Suarez of Texas on charges related to the fight.

Police charged Serranopaca of aggravated battery on a police officer, burglary of an occupied conveyance, criminal mischief, and false imprisonment.

Police charged Suarez of aggravated battery on a police officer and resisting an officer without violence.

The fight broke out after an employee reported to the police at around 6:35 p.m. that a passenger identified as Serranopaca entered a transport cart at airport gate H8, broke the key, and refused to leave the cart, the Miami-Dade Police Department said.

According to media reports, the disturbance stemmed from a delayed charter flight.

Police said in the arrest report that when officers arrived at the airport gate, Serranopaca continued to refuse to exit the cart and started screaming toward the “incited” crowd who started advancing towards them.

Video footage showed the large crowd surrounding one of the police officers who had grabbed passenger in a choke hold. The passenger then freed himself and started attacking the officer.

The officer pulled out his gun and radioed for backup, media reports said.

Suarez grabbed and pulled officers off Serranopaca while they tried to take him into custody, according to an arrest report.

Police said Miami-Dade Fire Rescue treated an officer at the scene whom Serranopaca had bitten on the head.

Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava told CBS4, “There has been an alarming increase in these incidents around the country. We have done everything we can to prepare for it. We have trained airport personnel. They have been trained on how to defuse tensions and hostility. This was an unfortunate incident.”

© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.