Prince Charles to No Longer Accept Large Cash Donations for Charities

Prince Charles will no longer accept large cash donations for his charities after he faced criticism over claims that he accepted €3 million in cash from a former Qatari prime minister.

“Situations, contexts change over the years. I can say with certainty for more than half a decade with the situation as it has evolved, this has not happened and it would not happen again… That was then, this is now,” a senior royal source said on June 29.

The Sunday Times reported earlier this week that the prince personally accepted €3 million for the Prince of Wales’ Charitable Fund between 2011 and 2015 from Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim, who was the Qatari prime minister from 2007 to 2013.

In a statement, Clarence House said that the donations “were passed immediately to one of the Prince’s charities who carried out the appropriate governance and have assured us that all the correct processes were followed.”

Campaign group Republic wrote to the Charity Commission, raising a number of questions in connection with the cash donations.

“It isn’t enough to simply be reassured by Charles and the charity that no rules were broken. These payments raise serious and legitimate questions that could damage the reputation of Britain’s charity sector,” Republic Chief Executive Graham Smith said.

The charities regulator said that it is examining reports “to determine whether there is any role for the commission in this matter.”

Former Liberal Democrat Minister Norman Baker called on the Metropolitan Police to include the latest reports of cash donations into ongoing investigations involving another of the prince’s charities.

The Metropolitan Police is currently investigating the Prince’s Foundation over allegations that it offered a Saudi donor help to secure a United Kingdom honor and citizenship.


© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.