The Marshall Islands has reported its first COVID-19 cases after two people from Hawaii tested positive.
The Marshall Islands has reported its first COVID-19 cases after two people from Hawaii tested positive last Oct. 28.
According to the alert issued by the Office of Chief Secretary Kino Kabua, the two asymptomatic cases were a 35-year-old woman and a 46-year-old man who flew into the U.S. military base on Kwajalein Atoll directly from Honolulu.
“We can assure the public that these are strictly border cases and were discovered while these people were in quarantine, where they remain until this time,” Kabua said in a statement.
The National Disaster Committee announced that there was no threat of community transmission and asked the public to remain calm.
The committee also said that the contained border cases do not require a nationwide lockdown and all government operations, businesses, and schools will remain open.
The small country in Oceania had been one of the last places in the world with no reported cases.
© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.