Kuwait’s Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Hamad Jaber Al Ali has contracted COVID-19, his office said in a statement on Friday, adding the minister had mild symptoms.
Ali will no longer attend office rather he would work from home, the statement said.
Ali’s test came positive days after he survived a no-confidence motion by 23 votes against 18.
While thanking the lawmakers for giving him another chance to serve the state, Ali vowed to continue fight against corruption.
Meanwhile, Al Rai newspaper reported that Ali’s health condition is “not worrying.”
“The minister felt mild symptoms and after he did a test on Thursday, the result came positive,” the paper quoted a health source as saying.
Furthermore, the Kuwaiti Health Minister, Dr. Khalid Al Saeed had earlier warned against an “unprecedented” wave of infections.
Kuwait already started recording fresh cases, where last week, the daily COVID-19 infections exceeded 5,000 for the first time since the country’s first case of the pandemic was detected nearly two years ago.
The health ministry had also announced new restriction rules, in which all arrivals in Kuwait are now required to present a negative PCR conducted 72 hours before arrival.
© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.