The Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO) announced on Thursday that peacekeeping forces from Kazakhstan will be withdrawn within 10 days starting Thursday.
“The complete withdrawal of CSTO peacekeepers will happen in different stages within 10 days,” the CSTO said in a statement without providing further details.
Kazakh President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev has also confirmed the withdrawal of CSTO forces from Kazakhstan.
“The mission has been successful and that the Kazakh forces managed to oust terrorists from Almaty,” Tokayev said, while thanking CSTO for dispatching troops to help the country in difficult time and protect the country’s strategic facilities.
Tokayev further said that the phased withdrawal of the united CSTO peacekeeping contingent will take no more than 10 days.
Earlier this month, Tokayev called on CSTO to send peacekeeping forces when hundreds of people took to the streets across the country over a hike in fuel prices, fearing the government would lose control of Almaty, the biggest city.
Tokayev said that protests had been hijacked by terrorist elements seeking to topple the government.
Tokayev said he also met with visiting CSTO Secretary General Stanislav Zas, expressing gratitude to the allies for their timely assistance.
© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.