South African Police confirmed on Monday the arrest of 84 people following the gang rape of eight South African women in Johannesburg on Thursday.
According to Police Minister Bheki Cele, an armed group of men forced their way into a music video shoot near a mine dump in Krugersdorp, a small-town west of Johannesburg, and raped the eight young women from the cast.
“What happened in Krugersdorp is just a shame of the nation,” Police Minister Bheki Cele said, adding that some victims would live with long-term consequences.
“Some of those destructions are permanent with those kids,” Cele said.
Police said they arrested 84 people during a swoop into mines where illegal immigrants work, but during the arrests, two suspects were killed in a shootout while one was wounded and taken to a local hospital.
On Monday, reports said the suspects appeared in court on illegal entry and possession of stolen goods charges.
Reports said no one of the 84 suspects had been charged yet over the sexual assaults.
Meanwhile, a small group of demonstrators gathered outside the court holding signs that read “No bail for rapists,” “Am I next?” and “My body is not a crime scene,” as they demanded swift justice.
On Monday, South African President Cyril Ramaphosa announced that, “Rapists have no place in our society.”
© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.