India Confirms First Monkeypox Death

India on Monday confirmed its first monkeypox death, a 22-year-old man from the southern state of Kerala. 

Kerala’s Health Minister Veena George said the young man tested positive in the United Arab Emirates before returning to India.  

“The person reached Kerala on Jul 21 but visited a hospital only on Jul 26 when he displayed fatigue and fever,” Minister K Rajan added. 

Rajan also said there was no reason to panic as the government had isolated all 21 primary contacts and that none of them showed any symptoms.  

The Federal Health Ministry said they had formed a task force of senior officials to monitor monkeypox cases in the country. 

The man died on Saturday – India’s first monkeypox-related death, the first in Asia, and the fourth fatality from the disease in the current outbreak worldwide. 

Last week, Spain reported two monkeypox-related deaths, and Brazil its first.  

On July 23, the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the outbreak a global health emergency. 

“The outbreak has continued to grow, and there are now more than 16,000 reported cases from 75 countries and territories. There is also a clear risk of further international spread,” WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said


© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.