French President Emmanuel Macron and Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, known as MBS, agreed on Friday to take steps to help end the Ukraine war and work for peace and stability in the Middle East.
Macron, during a meeting with visiting Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed, expressed French’s deep concern over Russia’s occupation in Ukraine.
“Macron and MBS stressed the need to find a way out of the Ukraine-Russia war and vowed to accelerate their cooperation to ease the effects in the EU, the Middle East and across the world,” the French Presidency said in a statement.
The statement said that Macron had underlined the importance of continuing the ongoing coordination with Saudi Arabia with regards to the “diversification of energy supplies” for European States.
The EU countries are mulling to import oil from Saudi Arabia instead of Russia as a response to Moscow’s invasion of Ukraine. The EU is desperately seeking alternative sources of fossil fuel after slapping Russia with severe economic sanctions.
Both the leaders also discussed peace in the Middle East and expressed their continued joint efforts for the sake of a durable peace and stability in the region.
In regards to Lebanon, Macron and MBS declared their strong support for the sovereignty, security and stability of Lebanon. Both the leaders also discussed the ongoing conflicts in Yemen and Syria as well as Iran’s nuclear program.
Macron came under fire from rights groups for hosting Saudi Prince Mohammed, who has been accused of approving the brutal murder of Saudi-American journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
Khashoggi was cruelly murdered inside Saudi consulate in Istanbul city of Turkey in 2018 and since then relations between the Kingdom and the rest of world, especially the US and EU significantly deteriorated.
The crown prince on Friday thanked Macron for his “warm reception” during talks in Paris.
“As I leave your friendly country, it gives me great pleasure to express to your Excellency my deepest gratitude and appreciation for the warm reception and hospitality accorded to me and the accompanying delegation,” Prince Mohammed said in a written message posted by the Saudi Foreign Ministry.
© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.