United States Federal Prosecutors indicted on federal charges the two men suspected behind the deaths of 53 migrants after authorities found a tractor-trailer abandoned in San Antonio last month.
According to the US Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Texas, a federal grand jury returned indictments against Homero Zamorano Jr., 46, and Christian Martinez, 28, both charged previously, which could result in a life sentence or the death penalty.
The office also said that Zamorano, of Pasadena, Texas, and Martinez, of Palestine, Texas, were indicted on charges of conspiracy to transport illegal aliens resulting in death, transportation of illegal aliens resulting in death, and other counts.
Zamorano and Martinez could face 20 years imprisonment, each for one count of conspiracy and transportation of illegal aliens.
Reports said that 50 adults and three children died in the vehicle on June 27, an incident that could be the deadliest human smuggling case in modern US history.
© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.