The United States Embassy in Mexico warned the public against travel to Sinaloa and Sonora “following the arrest of infamous drug lord Rafael Caro Quintero.”
According to the alert from the embassy, potential confrontations between criminal organizations and Mexican security forces in Sinaloa are possible, based on reports of the arrest of a prominent cartel leader.
The current travel advisory of the Department of State for Sinaloa is Level 4: Do not travel due to crime and kidnapping.
Meanwhile, the travel advisory for Sonora is Level 3: Reconsider travel due to crime and kidnapping.
“Criminal organization assassinations and territorial disputes can result in bystanders being injured or killed,” officials said in the alert.
The U.S. government also warned of an increase in security in both Sinaloa and Sonora.
The Mexican government’s national arrest registry recorded that Mexican forces captured Caro Quintero, who was behind the killing of a U.S. DEA agent in 1985, on July 15, after almost ten years of walking out of a Mexican prison and returning to drug trafficking.
Reports said Caro Quintero remained under formal charges in Los Angeles for the crime, and was on the FBI’s most wanted list, with a $20 million reward for his capture through the Narcotics Rewards Program of the State Department.
Earlier this month, a travel advisory was issued warning of travel to Baja California due to the arrest of another cartel leader in that area.
© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.