Armenia to Withdraw Troops from Nagorno-Karabkh by September

Armenia announced on Tuesday to withdraw all of its troops from the contested Nagorno-Karabkh (NK) region over which it has fought with Azerbaijan several times.

Six weeks of intensive fighting between Caucasus neighbors over Karabkh statues in 2020 took the lives of more than 6,500 people and ended after both sides agreed for a Russian-brokered ceasefire.

Under the deal, Armenia relinquished swaths of territory it had controlled for decades and Russia deployed some 2,000 peacekeepers to monitor the truce.

The Secretary of the Security Council of Armenia Armen Grigoryan said that the units of Armenian armed forces have been returning to Armenia after the ceasefire and the process is nearing completion and will end in September.

“During the war a number of units from the Armed Forces of Armenia went to help the Defense Army of NK. After the establishment of the ceasefire and the deployment of the peacekeeping contingent of the Russian Federation, the withdrawal of the units from NK is logical,” Grigoryan told state news agency Armenpress.

Grigoryan furthered that Russian peacekeepers in Karabakh guarantee the security of the ethnic Armenian population there and also NK Defense Army forces have been trying to ensure security in NK.

The development came after Azerbaijan had earlier complained that the Armenian withdrawal was too slow.

Ethnic Armenian separatists in Nagorno-Karabakh broke away from Azerbaijan after the collapse of Soviet Union 1991.


© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.