UK Announces £2m Funding for Yemen’s Floating Oil Threat

The government of Britain on Monday pledged £2 million ($2.4m) new funding to help prevent a major oil spill off the coast of Yemen.

UK Minister for the Middle East Amanda Milling said that the FSO Safer tanker is moored off Yemen’s Red Sea coast and contains more than a million barrels of oil. 

“The tanker is beyond repair, and it is feared that it could soon break apart or explode, destroying the environment around it and potentially exposing communities in Yemen to life-threatening toxins,” Milling added.

Milling said that the UK initially committed £4 million and with the new £2 million funding it made the UK one of the leading donors.

Milling in a meeting with counterparts from Oman, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and the US called on the international community to step up its support to revert the crisis.

“In May, the UK pledged £4 million pounds to the appeal as part of a UN conference to launch the emergency plan. Of the $80 million requested by the UN for Phase 1 of the operation, $60 million has been pledged so far,” Milling added.

The UN’s plan involved a four months emergency salvage operation to remove the oil from the FSO onto a leased vessel.  The tanker will then be cleaned and eventually a replacement tanker will be installed.


© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.