Missouri Native Dies from Brain Amoeba After Swimming in Iowa Lake

The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services announced on Friday that a Missouri resident who became infected with a brain-eating amoeba while swimming in an Iowa lake has died.

Lisa Cox, communications director from the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, said the agency discovered the resident’s infection on July 6 from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Cox did not specify the date of the female Missouri resident’s death.

“Because these cases are so incredibly rare, and out of respect for the family, we do not intend to release additional information about the patient which could lead to the person’s identification,” Cox said.

The Missouri resident was treated for the infection in an intensive care unit before she died.

“While the occurrence of Naegleria fowleri infection is extremely rare, once infected, it is usually fatal. Of the 154 known cases of PAM in the United States over the past 60 years, sadly only four have survived,” Cox said.


© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.