Roadside Bomb Kills Two Egyptian Peacekeepers in Mali

At least two United Nations peacekeepers were killed and five others seriously wounded after vehicle struck to a roadside bomb in northern Mali.

“This morning, an armored vehicle from a MINUSMA logistics convoy hit a mine on the Tessalit-Gao highway,” MINUSMA said. It has been reported that both the fatalities were Egyptian nationals.

The mission in a statement said that the injured were evacuated after a rapid intervention force was sent to the scene.

“MINUSMA strongly condemns this attack, which may constitute a war crime under international law, and notes with concern the frequent use, by terrorist groups and elements, of improvised explosive devices intended to paralyze the operations of the Mission and to obstruct the return to peace and stability,” it said.

The statement furthered that mines and improvised explosive devices in Mali “indiscriminately affect United Nations personnel, the Malian Defense and Security Forces and the communities we serve.”

MINUSMA, the United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali, is one of the UN’s biggest peacekeeping operations, which sihas 13,289 military personnel and 1,920 police.

So far it lost its 177 troops in different hostile acts, and the recent was on June 23 when another four peacekeepers were killed and eight more wounded by a mine blast in the Timbuktu region.


© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.