Yemen’s Houthis Announce To Lift Taiz Siege

Yemen’s Houthi group on Monday expressed readiness to reopen roads in Taiz and other provinces after the extension of the two-month UN-brokered ceasefire.

Speaking to SABA News Agency, Houthi-appointed governor for Taiz province, Salah Abdul Rahman Bajash said that the reopening of the road would unblock the siege in Taiz, and “our citizens can cross to the city and through it to other neighboring provinces.”

Bajash said they tried to reopen the road several times in the past, but met with opposition from the other side.

The developments came as UN Envoy in Yemen Hans Grundberg called on the Houthi group to reopen roads in Taiz and ease the suffering of the Yemenis.

The Houthis and the Saudi-led alliance also agreed to extend the two-month truce despite accusing each other of not adhering to basic provisions of the previous agreement. 

Grundberg also hosted talks between the representatives of the Houthis and the Saudi-backed government over Taiz in the Jordanian capital of Amman last week.

Yemen has been engulfed in a devastating civil war since 2014, in which more than 150,000 people have been killed, including over 14,500 civilians.


© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.