Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) armed forces claimed a notorious rebel group is responsible for the murder of 27 civilians in the east.
“We heard bullets at dawn in the village of Beu Manyama. When we arrived, it was already too late because the enemy ADF had already killed more than a dozen of our fellow citizens with machetes,” army spokesperson Anthony Mualushayi said on Saturday.
According to news media, the Guardian, a team of experts that monitors violence on the ground within the region – the Kivu Security Tracker (KST), confirmed at least 27 civilians died in the recent Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) attacks.
The ADF was accused of killing thousands of civilians in the eastern part of DRC.
On Friday, a Red Cross representative said soldiers found 17 decapitated bodies in Ituri province believed to be killed by ADF.
Reports claimed that over 120 armed groups occupy eastern DRC and civilian massacres are common.
© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.