27 Burned Villagers Discovered in Sagaing After Junta Arson Attack

Villagers in Myanmar’s Sagaing area discovered 27 charred bodies inside burned homes on Thursday, May 12.

Radio Free Asia (RFA) indicated in a report that the ruling military junta has been conducting an arson campaign against rural villages for months, burning hundreds of homes and displacing thousands of people.

Some Sagaing region residents told RFA that while there was no fighting in their region, soldiers arrived during a military operation and spent the night in the village.

RFA was unable to obtain confirmation of the incident and attempts to reach junta spokesperson Maj. Gen. Zaw Min Tun was unsuccessful.

Local defense forces in Sagaing Region’s Ye-U Township, according to a separate report by Myanmar Now, discovered the burnt corpses of six persons on Thursday in a village that had been seized by regime forces for two days.

The leader of the group identified only as Bilone said members of an anti-junta group entered the village of Mone Taing Pin after a military column of about 70 soldiers left early Thursday morning.

Bilone said they still couldn’t identify the bodies and couldn’t determine if these were locals or if they were hostages used as human shields.


© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.