Musk Twitter Deal on Hold

Elon Musk announced Friday he has temporarily put on hold his $44 billion bid on Twitter amid claims of spam or fake accounts.

In a Tweet linking to a Reuters article, Musk said that the Twitter deal had been put on hold because of the pending details of Twitter’s report that less than five percent of Twitter accounts are spam or fake.

Twitter has recorded 229 million daily active users in the first quarter of 2022.

Despite Musk’s announcement, he affirmed in another Tweet that he is still committed to acquiring the social media company.

In April, Twitter’s board of directors agreed to sell the platform to Musk.

Musk has said he will focus on “hardcore software engineering, design, infosec & server hardware” once the acquisition is finalized. He also commented on free speech and censorship through social media, saying he is against censorship “that goes far beyond the law.”

Human Rights Watch has expressed its concern over Musk’s plan to acquire Twitter. Frederike Kaltheuner, director of the tech and human rights division, said companies must set restrictions on speech, such as those inciting violence, to meet the international human rights responsibilities.


© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.