Saudi-Led Coalition Accused Of Violating Yemen’s Ceasefire 99 Times

Saudi-led coalition forces have repeatedly violated an UN-brokered ceasefire in Yemen 99 times in the past 24 hours.

Yemen news agency Al-Masirah reported Friday that the violations included the launching of 75 air raids with war planes and spy drones over Marib, Al-Jawf, Hajjah, Sa’adah, Amran, Hodeidah, and Al-Dhale governorates.

The Saudi forces were also accused of firing missiles and artillery shelling on the Army and Popular Committees Marib and Sa’adah Governorates.

Citing a military source, the outlet said that 13 violations were recorded by shooting at the homes of citizens and the sites of the Army and Popular Committees in the governorates of Taiz and Al-Dhale.

The Saudi-led coalition did not immediately comment on the news.

In early April, the UN special envoy for Yemen, Hans Grundberg announced a two months ceasefire across Yemen, where the warring parties agreed to cease fighting for the first time since 2016.

Yemeni security forces backed by Saudi Arabia and Houthi rebels backed by Iran welcomed the news and agreed to halt all military operations across the war-hit country.

Guterres had earlier said that the truce “must be a first step to ending Yemen’s devastating war,” urging the warring parties to build on the opportunity to “resume an inclusive and comprehensive Yemeni political process.”


© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.