Saudi Arabia has reportedly forced former illegitimate Yemeni President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi to step down earlier this month.
On April 7, Hadi announced that he had delegated his powers to the “presidential leadership” council and dismissed his Vice President Ali Mohsen al-Ahmar.
Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (MBS) gave Hadi a written decree transferring his powers to the council, The Wall Street Journal reported, citing anonymous Saudi and Yemeni officials.
According to the report, Hadi implemented the order after some Saudi officials threatened him to disclose what they said was evidence of his corruption.
The WSJ said officials have confined Hadi to his home in Riyadh and denied him access to phones since the day he announced his resignation.
The announcement followed talks on the Yemen conflict held by the Persian Gulf Cooperation Council (PGCC) at the regional union’s headquarters in Riyadh.
Yemen’s Iranian-backed Houthi group had boycotted the summit, saying Saudi is part of war, insisting that it would not travel to enemy territory for talks.
Saudi Arabia had welcomed Hadi’s decision, urging the council to start negotiations with the Houthi group.
The Kingdom also said it would arrange $3 billion of support to Yemen’s economy.
© Fourth Estate
® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.