The provincial government of KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) resumed full swing rescue operations seven days after the massive flooding struck and inclement weather slowed them down.
Sihle Zikalala, the premier of the KZN provincial government, told reporters in a live video interview on Sunday that they have received 38 call-outs on the scene that were attended and additional 6 bodies were recovered.
The latest death toll in KZN from the massive flooding now stands at 443.
Among those who died was one of the members of the search and rescue team who was at the Henley Dam area.
Zikalala said rescue teams are still looking for 63 persons that were reported missing or unaccounted for.
The provincial government has employed the help of 4 pilots and 48 crews, rescue dogs, four jet skis, and a combined crew of 67 experts in search and rescue missions to help them out.
Last week’s flooding damaged a total of 8,329 houses and destroyed 3,937.
This now brings the total number of affected households to 13,556.
The provincial government estimated roads and other infrastructure damages at R5.6 billion (USD$ 73million).
© Fourth Estate
® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.