Palestinian Shot Dead During Israeli Operations in West Bank

A Palestinian man died after being shot by Israeli troops in the West Bank city of Nablus as Israeli forces accelerated “counterterrorist operations” after a series of deadly attacks.

Palestinian health officials said that Israeli forces shot Muhammed Hassan Muhammed Assaf, 34-year-old human rights lawyer, in the chest.

The Palestinian Red Crescent emergency service said 31 Palestinians were injured as a result of Israeli military’s activities at Joseph’s Tomb with 10 of them having been hit by live ammunition.

The Israeli army did not comment on the incident so far and the circumstances surrounding the man’s death are not yet clear.

Israel Defense Forces (IDF)  said in a tweet on Tuesday that troops were conducting “intelligence-based counterterrorism activity,” and that forces had apprehended “20 terrorist suspects in Judea and Samaria overnight.”

“One suspect was involved in vandalizing the religious site, Joseph’s Tomb, on Sunday. We will continue to operate against terrorism,” IDF added.

The uptick in Israeli military activity has come in response to a series of deadly attacks carried out by Palestinians since the start of March that left 14 Israelis dead.


© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.