North Korea Threatens With Nuclear Weapons if Attacked

Kim Yo Jong, the Deputy Department Director of the Publicity and Information Department of the Workers’ Party of North Korea, has threatened South Korea with nuclear retaliation if attacked after Seoul highlighted its supposed pre-emptive strike capabilities on Tuesday.

Yo Jong said that it was a ‘very big mistake’ for South Korea’s defense ministry to make recent remarks discussing attacks on the North.

Yo Jong called South Korea defense minister Suh Wook’s recent comments about pre-emptive strikes a ‘fantastic daydream’ and the ‘hysteria of a lunatic’.

Yo Jong said that North Korea opposes war, but it would retaliate with its nuclear forces if the South opts for pre-emptive strikes or other attacks, which would leave the South’s military “little short of destruction and ruin”.

North Korea has often warned that it would be prepared to use its nuclear weapons when threatened by rivals and has revved the development of its military arsenal since Kim assumed the leadership more than a decade ago.

Yo Jong’s brother and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has vowed last week that they will develop a more powerful means of attack, after launching their first intercontinental ballistic missile in more than four years.


© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.