More than 150 People Still Missing After Nigeria Train Attack

The Nigerian Railway Corporation said on Sunday that 168 people are still missing one week after the train attack in Kaduna last week.

On March 28, at least eight people died when gunmen detonated a bomb on the tracks and opened fire on the train linking the capital Abuja with the northwestern city of Kaduna.

According to the NRC, 186 of the 362 passengers on board the train were safe. However, eight of the remaining 176 passengers were verified dead, leaving the location of the remaining 168 passengers unknown.

The NRC said damaged tracks and coaches were under repair while services on the Abuja-Kaduna route had been ‘temporarily suspended’.

Nasir el-Rufai, the governor of Kaduna, said he suspects that Boko Haram militants may have teamed up with kidnapping gangs to attack the passenger train.

El-Rufai added that an operation was underway to rescue those who had been kidnapped but ruled out any ransom payments.

The army has been fighting the Islamist insurgency in the northeast for 13 years but cannot stop the sophisticated criminal networks that operate massive money-making kidnapping operations in recent years.


© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.