Hong Kong’s Chief Executive Carrie Lam announced on Monday that she will not be seeking a second term.
Lam revealed her decision during a regular COVID-19 press briefing and thanked her team and her family for support.
The city leader had already informed Beijing of her decision before making it public, two government sources told the South China Morning Post. She also announced it to her de facto cabinet on Monday morning before the public briefing, the sources said.
“She told them she would not run in the forthcoming chief executive race,” one source said.
Lam’s successor will be picked on May. John Lee Ka-chiu, Hong Kong’s chief secretary, is preparing to run for the top position, according to the Post’s sources.
© Fourth Estate
® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.