Ukrainian forces took control of Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant (NPP), which was previously under the Russian forces, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said quoting sources from Ukraine.
According to a news release from IAEA, these Russian forces have moved two convoys of troops towards Belarus and a third convoy also left the city of Slavutych, where they also moved towards Belarus.
The same IAEA report cited that there are still some Russian forces on the Chernobyl NPP site but they were presumed to be preparing to leave.
IAEA Director-General Rafael Mariano Grossi said they are in close consultations with Ukrainian authorities on sending their first assistance and support mission to the Chernobyl NPP in the next few days.
“The IAEA has not been able to confirm reports of Russian forces receiving high doses of radiation while being in the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone. The IAEA is seeking further information in order to provide an independent assessment of the situation,” the IAEA statement said.
John Kirby, the spokesman of the Pentagon, also confirmed this in a press briefing on Thursday, March 30.
“Some of those troops we assess are repositioning into Belarus. We don’t have an exact number for you, but that’s our early assessment,” Kirby said.
Last February 24, Russian forces took control of the nuclear facility.
IAEA noted that Ukraine has not reported any staff rotation at the Chernobyl NPP from March 20 to 21.
© Fourth Estate
® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.