The government of Iran on Thursday strongly slammed a decision by the United States to impose new sanctions on the country as a “sign of the ill-will” of Washington toward the Iranian people.
The US Department of Treasury on Wednesday announced the newly imposed sanctions targeting several entities it accused of involvement in procuring supplies for Iran’s ballistic missile program.
The US Department of Treasury said the new sanctions targeted IRGC’s division associated with research and development of ballistic missiles, as well as Parchin Chemical Industries (PCI), a component of Iran’s Defense Industries Organization (DIO), and an intermediary involved in procurement of parts for missiles.
“Iran’s ballistic missile-related activities continue to destabilize the Middle East region, and the United States will continue to use every tool at our disposal to disrupt them,” US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said in a statement.
In response, Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh termed the new sanctions as another demonstration of the “ill-will of the US government toward the Iranian nation, which is a continuation of the failed policy of maximum pressure against Iran.”
Khatibzadeh said that the US, despite claiming readiness to return to the full implementation of the Iran nuclear deal “continues to violate the deal and UN Security Council Resolution 2231.”
The sanctions come at a time when the US with mediation of the European Union seems close to an agreement with Iran to salvage the 2015 nuclear deal meant to curb Iran’s nuclear program in return for removing sanctions.
The US and Iran have been engaged in indirect talks in Vienna for nearly a year, in which Iran demanded the removal of Islamic Revolutionarily Guard Corps (IRGC) from a US terror blacklist.
Iran’s Foreign Minister Hossein Amir Abdollahian had recently said that IRGC’s delisting as one of the key remaining issues, calling on the US to take a realistic approach in order to reach a deal.
However, US Special Envoy for Iran, Robert Malley had earlier said that the IRGC will continue to be on the US blacklist, and said it has nothing to do with the ongoing nuclear deal talks.
© Fourth Estate
® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.