Schools in Israel Cancel Field Trips Following Surge in Terrorist Attacks

The government of Israel on Wednesday morning instructed dozens of local schools to cancel or delay planned field trips across the cities following a surge in terrorist attacks that took the lives of at least 11 people in one week.

The city councils of Petah Tikva, Modi’in, and Rishon Letzion have been directly ordered to have no plan for school children to tour around the city, according to Israel National News.

Meanwhile, security authorities said they have deployed more security forces in and around the schools, and also blocked the entry of Palestinian workers due to security issues.

Modi’in Mayor Haim Bibas, who also heads Israel’s Federation of Local Authorities said that he is in contact with the Public Security Minister Omer Bar Lev (Labor) to send more security forces to protect schools across the country.

Entry of Palestinian Authority workers were also temporarily banned in Judea and Samaria cities and the mayors of Ramat Gan, Afula, Ashdod and Kiryat Gat have asked companies to halt the use of Palestinian Arab labor at construction sites.

The decision came after a Palestinian gunmen opened fire on a crowd on the outskirts of Tel Aviv on Tuesday night, killing five people before being shot by the police.

The gunman was identified as a 27-year-old Dia Hamarsha resident of Ya’bad, near Jenin in the northern West Bank. He is believed to have been working at a building site in Bnei Brak and had previously served a short sentence in an Israeli prison for a security offense.

The Sunday’s night attack came after four people lost their lives in a stabbing attack in Beersheva last Tuesday and a shooting attack in Hadera this Sunday that resulted in the death of two police officers.

Palestinian President Mahmud Abbas issued a rare condemnation of the attacks, saying the “killing of Palestinian and Israeli civilians will only lead to further deterioration of the situation, while we are all striving for stability.”

Meanwhile, Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett said the country was “facing a wave of murderous and terrorism”.

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken also condemned the Tuesday’s “terrorist attack”, calling the recent wave of violence “unacceptable”.


© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.