The government of Iran on Thursday called for launching an intra-Yemeni dialogue away from any “foreign influence” to settle the crisis in the country and reach a ceasefire immediately.
The Iranian Foreign Ministry in a statement said that Tehran is fully supporting any sort of fair and practical effort and initiative for the removal of the blockade, establishment of truce and beginning of Yemeni-Yemeni negotiations, away from “foreign interference”.
“The destructive war and the cruel blockade of the (Saudi-led Arab) coalition against the people of Yemen is entering its eighth year as it has led to this resilient country facing the worst humanitarian catastrophe of the century,” the ministry statement said on the seventh anniversary of the Saudi-led coalition “aggression” against Yemen.
“We support steps in the light of efforts by the United Nations’ special envoy, and consider a political solution, led by the Yemenis, as the only way out of the crisis in Yemen,” the statement added.
UN Special Envoy to Yemen, Hans Grundberg had earlier said that military escalation does not bring any sustainable solutions, calling on the international community to give consistent support to the country.
Grundber said that the UN has been in contact with all sides to explore options to achieve de-escalation and called on warring parties to come to an inclusive dialogue aimed at reaching a negotiated political settlement to the conflict.
On March 17, the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) invited Yemeni parties for talks in the Saudi capital, Riyadh, on March 29, while the Yemeni government welcomed the invitation, but the Houthi group rejected the offer, conditioning that dialogue should be held in a neutral country.
The Saudi-led Arab coalition has been fighting Houthis since 2015, and targeting them all over the war-hit country including the capital city of Sanaa.
© Fourth Estate
® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.