The Chinese government has sanctioned more than 70 of its officials since last month over the latest COVID-19 outbreak across the country.
A total of 74 officials were said to have been reprimanded because of failure in quick response to the latest COVID-19 outbreak.
Lei Zhenglong, Deputy Director and First-level Inspector of the National Health Commission’s Disease Control, reported that from March 1 to 21, China recorded more than 41,000 local infections. Jilin City and In Changchun City recorded the most COVID-19 cases out of the 28 provinces affected by the outbreak, Zhenglong added.
Earlier this month, at least 26 officials have been dismissed for poor performance in the country’s COVID-19 response. Dongguan, Guangdong Province removed six officials while Jilin Province dismissed three officials including Wang Lu, the mayor and deputy Party chief of Jilin City, Li Xin, the head of the Jiutai district of Changchun and Gao Yutang, director of the Changchun Municipal Health Commission.
Chinese President Xi Jinping urged officials to strive for dynamic-zero case by preventing transmissions as soon as possible.
The Joint Prevention and Control Mechanism of the State Council also outlined necessary measures local officials have to take to help stop the spread of the corona virus.
“Of course, it is necessary to encourage local governments to adopt precise prevention and control measures according to local conditions, so as to exchange the smallest cost for the largest social and economic benefits,” said Liang Wannian, head of the expert team on COVID-19 response and disposal at the National Health Commission.
© Fourth Estate
® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.