At least 902 civilians have been killed since Russian President Vladimir Putin sent his troops to invade Ukraine, the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) reported on March 20.
OHCHR also reported that 1,459 have been injured since the invasion began on Feb. 24.
Separately, in the Russian-backed separatists regions of Donetsk and Luhansk, 248 have been killed and 744 have been injured.
“Most of the civilian casualties recorded were caused by the use of explosive weapons with a wide impact area, including shelling from heavy artillery and multiple-launch rocket systems, and missile and air strikes,” OHCHR said.
OHCHR warned that the actual figures could be higher as information from some locations have been delayed and many reports are still pending corroboration, including those from Mariupol where Russian forces reportedly bombed a school sheltering 400 people over the weekend.
The Prosecutor General’s Office of Ukraine reported that 115 had been killed and over 140 have been injured as of 8 a.m. (local time) on March 20, OHCHR noted.
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees Filippo Grandi said that the war was “so devastation that 10 million have fled — either displaced inside the country or as refugees abroad.”
© Fourth Estate
® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.