Miami Beach Declares State of Emergency After Shootings

The City of Miami Beach on March 21 declared a state of emergency due to concerns about mitigating spring break crowds amid recent violence.

In a joint press conference with other local officials, Mayor Dan Gelber announced emergency measures — including a curfew — after two separate shootings over the weekend that left five people hospitalized.

The midnight curfew will take effect on March 24  until 6 a.m. local time on March 28, City Manager Alina Hudak, who signed the order, said.

According to Gelber, the curfew was an attempt to push back against the reputation of the city as a “24-hour party city.”

“We don’t want spring break here… but they keep coming,” Gelber said.

“People keep coming here in large numbers, such large numbers that it creates an almost impossible situation for our police,” Gelber further said.

Gerlber added that the city cannot have people come “and have to worry about being shot.”

According to police, a shooting on Ocean Drive near 8th Street on March 20 injured three people while a separate shooting in the 700 block of Ocean Drive at around 1 a.m. on March 21 injured two women. 

Officials also intend to impose the same curfew for the following weekend, according to NBC South Florida.

This is the second year in a row that Miami Beach authorities issued a state of emergency linked to the influx of spring break visitors.

Last year, Gelber issued a curfew for the South Beach neighborhood’s entertainment district in an attempt to control crowds and to curb the spread of COVID-19.


© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.