At least 30 people were killed and 80 others were wounded in a suicide bombing blast at a mosque during Friday prayers in northwestern Pakistan city of Peshawar.
Mohammad Aasim, spokesman of the Lady Reading Hospital, told Reuters that they have received more than 30 bodies so far.
Peshawar governor spokesman, Barrister Mohammad Ali Saif said at least 30 people have been killed in the blast that occurred at a Jamia mosque when worshipers were offering Friday prayers.
Casualties could be feared to rise as reports indicate the blast was of high intensity, according to Saif.
Saif said that rescue teams arrived at the scene soon after the incident and the wounded people had been evacuated to the hospital.
No group has immediately asserted responsibility for the attack.
Meanwhile, Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan in a tweet strongly condemned the terror attack and asked the related organize for more details on the nature of incident.
Moreover, Pakistan Interior Minister Sheikh Rashid has also condemned the attack, terming it a planned conspiracy to destabilize Pakistan.
Pakistan had recently seen an uptick in terrorism-related incidents, where on Wednesday, at least three police personnel were killed, and 18 people injured in a blast on Quetta’s Fatima Jinnah Road.
© Fourth Estate
® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.