Iran Accuses US Of ‘Walking Away’ From Vienna Talks

The government of Iran on Tuesday accused the US of “walking away” from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), emphasizing on the need to make sure this will not happen again.

Iran’s Foreign Ministry Spokesman, Saeed Khatibzadeh in a tweet said that “blusters and bluffs” will not work and that decisions are needed to go forward in the negotiations in the Austrian capital Vienna. “Everyone has its own plan B, though US’ has proven hollow.”

“A deal is at hand, if White House makes its mind. Iran is willing, but will not wait forever,” Khatibzadeh added. Iran also warned of plan B and can’t wait forever for the US to make necessary political decisions.

Khatibzadeh’s comments came at a time when US State Department Spokesman Ned Price said that Washington is prepared to walk away from talks to revive the deal “if Iran displays an intransigence to making progress.”

Iran and world powers namely Russia, China, UK, France, and Germany directly and US indirectly are still engaged in intensive talks in Vienna to salvage Iran’s nuclear deal.

The negotiators have spoken about progress in the talks, but no tangible result has so far been made from the talks as US and Iran both are now accusing each other.

Former US President Donald Trump withdrew from Iran’s 2015 nuclear deal in 2018, and re-imposed more sanctions, promoting Iran to increase its nuclear program.    

Iran had recently called on the western negotiators to agree on removing sanctions and also sought guarantees from Washington for not leaving the (JCPOA) once again.

 


© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.