The United States Coast Guard suspended on Feb. 15 the search for passengers, including four teenagers, who were on board an airplane that apparently crashed earlier this week off the coast of North Carolina.
The Coast Guard said it will continue to work with local partners through ongoing recovery operations.
According to officials, eight people were aboard the aircraft when it crashed at around 2 p.m. on Feb. 13 approximately four miles east of Drum Inlet.
Carteret County Sheriff Asa Buck said at a press conference on Feb. 14 that there was “no indication that anyone survived the crash.”
At this time, officials recovered and identified remains of two passengers, which will be turned over to the families, according to the Carteret County Sheriff’s Office.
The Sheriff’s Office will also turn over numerous aircraft parts it has collected during the search, including the flight data recorder, to the National Transportation Safety Board who are conducting an investigation to determine the cause of the of the incident.
The Federal Aviation Administration is also investigating the incident.
© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.