Hong Kong Plans Wuhan-Style Hospital as Cases Skyrocket

Hong Kong officials said they are rushing to build a Wuhan-style temporary hospital as the country’s healthcare infrastructure faces a surge that experts said is likely to overwhelm its already stretched capacity.

The Chinese Special Administrative Region (SAR) reported 1,340 confirmed infections and 2,000 suspected cases on Sunday.

The SAR has also sought the help of mainland authorities to build additional healthcare infrastructure with its hospitals already unable to cope with the current wave.

“The number of confirmed and preliminary-positive COVID-19 cases has seriously exceeded the capacity that we can tolerate at hospitals. Our isolation facilities are also full,” Hospital Authority Chief Manager Larry Lee Lap-yip said.

Hong Kong’s “zero COVID” strategy was overwhelmed by the current surge in cases and the spread of the more transmissible Omicron variant in the community. 

Last week, Hong Kong health officials reported eight deaths, including a four-year-old boy, the first COVID-19 deaths in more than half a year.


© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.