Norwegian Court Denies Mass Murderer Anders Breivik’s Parole Application

A Norwegian court on Feb. 1 denied the parole application of neo-Nazi mass murderer Anders Breivik, ruling that he remains a threat to society.

The district court in Telemark in southeast Norway said that Breivik, 42, did not show signs that his extremist views had waned during his time in prison as he “appeared devoid of empathy and compassion for the victims of the terror.”

The court said in its ruling that it had “no doubt that [Breivik] still today has the ability to commit new serious crimes that may expose others to danger.”

Breivik applied for parole last month, nearly 10 years after he was jailed for killing eight people with a car bomb in Oslo and fatally shooting 69 others, mostly teenagers, at a summer youth camp organized by the Labor Party in July 2011.

At the opening day of the hearing, Breivik gave Nazi salutes even though he told the court that he had renounced violence.

Breivik also carried and wore signs with racist messages, including one that read, “Stop your genocide against our white nations.” 

“In the court’s view, it cannot be assumed that the accused comes across as nonviolent,” the ruling said.

“His verbal assurances and his words of honor are of little value, even if meant sincerely in the moment they are spoken,” the ruling further said.

Breivik’s lawyer said he would appeal against the three judges’ unanimous decision, but there is no guarantee that an appeal will be allowed.

Breivik was sentenced to 21 years in prison, the maximum sentence under Norwegian law, after being convicted on terrorism and murder charges in 2012. The sentence can be extended indefinitely if he is deemed a continued threat to society.


© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.