Thyroid Cancer Patients Sue Fukushima Plant Operator

Six Japanese young people would sue the operator of the Fukushima nuclear plant after developing thyroid cancer in the years following the 2011 nuclear disaster, their lawyers announced on Thursday.

According to the group’s lead lawyer, Kenichi Ido, all of his six clients underwent surgery to remove parts or all of their thyroid glands due to cancer they got from radiation exposure

The plaintiffs, aged between six and 16 at the time of the disaster, were living in the Fukushima region when an earthquake on March 11, 2011, triggered a tsunami that caused the nuclear disaster.

Ido also said none of the cancers suffered by the group were hereditary, arguing it is highly likely their radiation exposure had caused the Thyroid cancer.

“Some plaintiffs have had difficulties advancing to higher education and finding jobs and have even given up on their dreams for their future,” Ido added.

The lawyers would file a class-action lawsuit on Thursday afternoon against plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO), seeking a total of 616 million yen ($5.4 million) in compensation.

A Tepco spokesman said the company was aware of the case filing and would address it once they had seen the details of the complaint.

Meanwhile, a United Nations report published last year concluded that the Fukushima nuclear disaster had not directly harmed the health of residents a decade after the catastrophe.


© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.