World Bank Suspends Aid to Sudan After Coup

The World Bank suspended its aid to Sudan on Wednesday following the military takeover of the civilian government.

World Bank Group President David Malpass said in a statement that the organization “paused disbursements in all of its operations in Sudan on Monday and has “has stopped processing any new operations” while they monitor the situation.

“I am greatly concerned by recent events in Sudan, and I fear the dramatic impact this can have on the country’s social and economic recovery and development,” Malpass also said.

Meanwhile, the African Union also suspended Sudan from participating “in all AU activities until the effective restoration of the civilian-led Transitional Authority,” the African Union Political Affairs Peace and Security tweeted.

Last week, US State Department spokesperson Ned Price announced that the United States had cut off $700 million in emergency assistance to Sudan after military officials arrested civilian government leaders and fired at protesters.


© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Leave a Comment