Three Arrested Under Terrorism After Deadly Car Explosion Near Liverpool Hospital

Police have arrested three men under the Terrorism Act after a deadly car explosion near a hospital in Liverpool killed one person and injured another.

Police in Merseyside said they arrested the men — aged 21, 26, and 29 — in the Kensington area of Liverpool on Nov. 14.

The investigation into the explosion continues “at pace,” according to the police.

“We are keeping an open mind as to what caused the explosion but given how it has happened, out of caution, Counter Terrorism Police are leading the investigation supported by Merseyside Police,” a police statement said.

Police said they received reports of a car explosion near Liverpool Women’s Hospital at 10:59 a.m. local time.

The passenger of the car — believed to be a taxi — died from the explosion while the driver has been taken into the hospital for his non-life-threatening injuries, according to the police.

The victims have yet to be formally identified.

Police believe that the taxi pulled up at the hospital shortly before it exploded.

Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service Chief Fire Officer Phil Garrigan told reporters that the fire was “fully developed” when crews arrived, but they were able to extinguish the blaze “rapidly.”

Images on social media showed the car engulfed in flames and later burnt out, with smoke billowing over the building.

Due to the incident, the hospital has restricted visiting access and has asked anyone coming to the hospital to avoid bringing their vehicle.

“Anyone with appointments onto the hospital site will notice an increased security and police presence where parking arrangements on the site will be advised,” the hospital said.

A number of roads have also been closed due to the incident.

Liverpool Mayor Joanne Anderson called for the public to remain calm and allow the police to conduct their investigation.

© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.