Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has filed to run for a Senate seat in the country’s elections next year, just days after signaling that he may compete against his daughter for vice president.
Duterte — who had repeatedly said that he will retire from politics after his term in 2022 — filed his candidacy at the Commission on Elections through a representative, just before the deadline for political parties to finalize their candidates on Monday.
On Sunday, Duterte said that he may run against his daughter, Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio, for the position of vice president to express his dismay over his daughter’s bid.
Duterte-Carpio had filed her candidacy on Sunday. The older Duterte later said that he disapproved of her vying for the country’s second-highest position when polls showed that she was a leading pick for president.
Former presidential spokesperson Harry Roque, however, maintained on Monday that the father and daughter “will never fight each other for any position.”
Duterte-Carpio was adopted by the Federal Party of the Philippines (PFP) to run alongside presidential aspirant Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr., son of the late dictator.
Earlier this year, President Duterte had said that he is eyeing the vice presidency for “immunity” from possible lawsuits that may arise from the International Criminal Court’s investigation on his controversial drug war.
© Fourth Estate
® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.