Washington D.C. Attorney General Karl Racine filed a lawsuit on Dec. 14 against far-right groups Proud Boys and Oath Keepers for their roles in the Jan. 6 Capitol riot.
In a complaint filed in the US. District Court for the District of Columbia, Racine accused the extremist groups, as well as 31 of its individual members, of “conspiring to terrorize the District by planning, promoting, and participating” in the Capitol attack in an attempt to overturn the presidential election results.
Specifically, the lawsuit is seeking financial damages for injuries to police officers and property and other costs relating to the deadly attack, calling it “a coordinated act of domestic terrorism.”
“By seeking justice through this civil lawsuit, we will hit the organizers, planners, and participants in their wallets and purses in order to deter and dismantle their ability to strike again,” Racine said.
The lawsuit did not specify the amount of money it is seeking.
Racine told reporters that he intends to collect “every penny” he can from the groups, adding that “if it so happens we bankrupt them, that’s a good day.”
According to Racine, the case was the first civil lawsuit by a government entity against Jan. 6 insurrectionists.
Lawmakers and Capitol Police officers have previously sued both groups over the Capitol riot.
Nearly all the individual members named in the lawsuit have previously been criminally charged for their participation in the riot.
© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.