A Libyan court has nullified a decision to knock over Seif al-Islam Gaddafi, son of slain Moamer Gaddafi from the 24 December presidential election.
The Libyan Electoral Commission had rejected his application last month. According to the electoral law, a candidate must not have a criminal record.
Gaddafi was disqualified for his alleged war crimes committed during the uprising against his father more than 10 years ago.
In his recent interview with The New York Times, Seif al-Islam said that he was planning a political comeback to restore the lost unity of Libya.
The electoral process is slowly achieving a hat trick, destroying the credibility of the UN, of #Libya’s judiciary, & of elections as a way (out) of the crisis.” Libya analyst Emadeddin Badi wrote on Twitter:
However, on Thursday, the court ruled in his favor, and the decision comes at a time when the western countries insisted on the inclusive and credible elections to take place on December 24.
Amanda Kadlec, a former member of a UN panel of experts on the country, told AFP that “political divisions that were supposed to be put to rest with the formation of the “unity” government are replaying with this electoral process.”
© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.