Astronauts Resume Spacewalk After Debris Risk

A spacewalk for two astronauts to fix an antenna outside the International Space Station (ISS) is set to resume after it was postponed by NASA days before over debris concerns.

Astronauts Thomas Marshburn and Kayla Barron were due to venture out of the ISS on Tuesday when NASA rescheduled the spacewalk after having received a “debris notification” bound for the space station the night before.

Due to “the lack of opportunity to properly assess the risk it could pose to the astronauts”, the space agency said in a statement on Tuesday that it will postpone the spacewalk until more information was available.

Tuesday evening, NASA announced that they have found that the debris do not pose a risk to the astronauts and the spacewalk will resume on Dec. 2.

While the debris did not cause harm to the space station, concerns have been growing about the worsening state of space junk.

The European Space Agency warned in an October report that the increase in space traffic has created more space junk that are dangerous to space stations and astronauts.

Last month, Russia tested a missile that blew up a satellite on Nov. 15 which spread a new cloud of debris around Earth’s orbit, although NASA said that they found “no indications” that the recent debris scare was related to the Russian missile test.


© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.