Two of 17 Kidnapped Missionaries Released in Haiti, U.S. Aid Group Says

A United States aid group announced on Nov. 21 that two of the 17 missionaries kidnapped in Haiti last month have now been released.

Ohio-based nonprofit organization Christian Aid Ministries said in a statement that it cannot confirm the names of those released, the reasons for their release, where they are from, or their current location.

“Only limited information can be provided, but we are able to report that the two hostages who were released are safe, in good spirits, and being cared for,” the group said.

The kidnappings of 17 U.S. and Canadian missionaries, as well as five children, occurred on Oct. 16 in the Ganthier commune in the suburb of Port-au-Prince.

The 400 Mawozo gang claimed responsibility for the kidnappings and demanded $1 million per hostage.

Gang leader Wilson Joseph also threatened to kill the hostages if the demands were not met.


© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.