London Police Arrest Third Man on Suspicion of Murder of Sabina Nessa

The Metropolitan Police in London has arrested on Sept. 26 a third man on suspicion of the murder of primary schoolteacher Sabina Nessa, describing it as “significant development” in the case.

Police said they arrested a 36-year-old man at around 3 a.m. local time in East Sussex and has been taken into police custody.

“Sabina’s family have been informed of this significant development and they continue to be supported by specialist officers,” Detective Chief Inspector Neil John said in a statement.

Nessa, 28, is suspected to have been killed when she was on her way to a nearby bar to meet her friends last Sept. 17. She was found dead the next day in Cater Park in Kidbrooke, southeast of London.

The arrest came days after the police released a video surveillance footage showing a man in a black hooded coat walking close to the park where Nessa was attacked on the same night.

The 12-second video showed the man holding a reflective red item, which police said they retain an “open mind” if this was used in the attack on Nessa.

Police previously arrested two men — a 38-year-old man and a man in his 40s — but they have been released pending further investigation. Neither of the two men were featured in the footage, police said.

A post-mortem examination into the cause of Nessa’s death was inconclusive, according to the police.

Nessa’s murder reignited concerns about the safety of women in Britain.


© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.