Haiti Prosecutor Seeks Charges Against Prime Minister Ariel Henry over President’s Assassination

Haiti’s chief prosecutor is seeking charges against Prime Minister Ariel Henry for his alleged involvement in the assassination of President Jovenel Moise last July.

Port-au-Prince prosecutor Bed-Forde Claude has asked a judge on Sept. 14 to charge Henry due to alleged phone calls he made with Joseph Badio, one of the main suspects in the case who was formerly a Justice Ministry official, just hours after the slaying.

“There are sufficient compromising elements that form conviction on the appropriateness of prosecuting Mr. Henry and requesting his outright indictment,” Claude wrote in an official letter to Judge Garry Orelien, who was tasked to investigate the killing, as quoted by AFP News.

According to Claude in the two-page document, the calls lasted seven minutes and were made between 4:03 and 4:20 a.m. on July 7.

Claude also noted in the letter that Badio, who is believed to be on the run, was near Moise’s residence at the time of the calls and that a government official said on Twitter that Henry claimed he never spoke to Badio.

In another letter, addressed to the director of migration administration, Claude requested that Henry be banned from leaving the country “for serious presumptions of assassination of the President.”

Henry had already been summoned to testify in the case regarding the alleged phone calls, but Henry slammed the request on Twitter, saying, “The diversionary maneuvers to sow confusion and prevent justice from doing its job serenely will not pass.”

“Rest assured that no distraction, no summons or invitations, no maneuvers, no threats, no rearguard combat, will distract me from my mission,” Henry said.


© Fourth Estate® — All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.