The Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR) announced that it was investigating one of Prince Charles’ charities after a report said that it accepted donations from a Russian businessman.
In a statement on Sept. 12, OSCR said that it had written to the trustees of the Prince’s Foundation to inform them of the investigation on the claims around the donations.
“We will consider what, if any, further action is appropriate for us to take when we have been able to fully consider information provided to us by the charity,” OSCR said.
According to a report by British newspaper The Sunday Times, Charles thanked wealthy Russian banker Dmitry Leus in a letter last May and offered to meet him after receiving a six-figure donation for his charity.
Charles expressed in the letter how “incredibly grateful” he was for Leus’ “immense generosity,” the Sunday Times reported.
However, the ethics committee of the charity reportedly transferred the donation to charity Children & the Arts after they raised concerns on Leus’ background.
Leus confirmed to CNN that Leus made “two separate donations totaling £500,000” ($692,402) to Charles’ charity via fixer Burke’s Peerage.
“Leus has now learned that not all of these funds were then transferred on to the Prince’s Foundation. No funds at all were returned to him from Burke’s Peerage,” the spokesperson said, adding that Leus did not consent for the money to be transferred to the Children’s Arts Foundation.
A spokesperson for Leus also confirmed to CNN that Leus had been found guilty in Russia for money-laundering but his conviction was overturned in 2007.
Prince’s Foundation Chair Douglas Connell told CNN in a statement that the charity was treating the allegations “very seriously,” adding that a full review is expected to take several weeks.